Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Day 10-11 Bill

The day started with an excellent breakfast rustled up by Jim followed by a quick check of river conditions. Alas, the Salmon River remained muddy rendering it un-fishable. Jim suggested a day of fishing on Payette Lake in McCall, the summer retreat of Boise's wealthy. The setting is similar to Lake Tahoe with a beautiful large lake with a resort town sitting right at water's edge. The lucky few have been granted 99 year leases on state land and have ringed the lake with summer cabins. 


View across Lake Payette. Note shoreline homes. "Cabins" is a misnomer.


Jim reading for launch. It was a gorgeous day with full sun and 70 degree weather. Fishing was tough. I caught a number of "squaw" fish that were feeding on bait fish near a sandy beach. They are aggressive feeders and provided ample excitement.  Jim spent most of the day gently coaching me and fighting the wind. Lunch was a particularly good sandwich. Who says men cannot cook?


No world records here but still loads of fun to catch. 


The ice hockey rink on the main drag was unique in that large glass windows let you view the practice or game from the sidewalk. 


Impressive timber used in construction downtown as well as in the hockey center. Right down the street we stopped in for a nice seafood dinner at Steamers. The steamed clams, scallops and crab-stuffed haddock were delicious. The beer was cold! We got in about 9 PM having fished and dined to our heart's content.

Today began with frantic packing and a light breakfast. Goodbyes were said and I parted ways with a new friend. I highly recommend The Last Resort. The Salmon River and I will rendezvous again.


"Smoke on the water" this morning on the way to Boise with the temp being about 45 degrees. 


My shadow on the ride to Boise. It was a great twisty road with lots of elevation changes. Idaho has really been a treat to ride. Great scenery, roads and food pretty much sums it up.

After dropping off my bike with the great folks at Big Twin Cycle in Boise I called my South Sudanese cabbie and was whisked to the airport. 


The Great Salt Lake from the air.

My trip ends this evening upon my return to Nashville. It has been an excellent vacation. Bo and Jim are in Wyoming headed for Cody. I wish them safe travels and am already dreaming of next year's trip.

Bill








No comments:

Post a Comment